Thursday, March 7, 2019

Dealing with the UNEXPLAINED!


ves·tib·u·lar

Relating to a vestibule, particularly that of the inner ear, or more generally to the sense of balance.


Today I was introduced to something new 7 months and 15 days into the journey that I never saw coming: Vestibular Testing!

The purpose of Vestibular Function Tests (VFTs) is to determine the health of the vestibular portion of the inner ear. Some VFTs are used to determine if your dizziness, vertigo, or balance problem is caused by brain disorder. In my case, the testing was actually done to make sure that I didn’t have a problem with my inner ear as a result of my double concussions.

Why test now you may wonder?

Well, the first reason is I am now working with pretty much a whole new team of people having centralized my recovery to one clinic at Fortius Sport & Health (https://www.fortiussport.com).

The second reason was even more interesting since an episode that I experienced just a couple of days ago. This event happened while having dinner with my family at a little pasta place in Penticton B.C. where my daughter is moving in a few weeks. While finishing up dinner I experienced a sudden darkening of the room around me that sent my head spinning. It was the weirdest feeling almost reminiscent of an experience I had on one of the world’s steepest rollercoasters where I literally blacked out for a second or two while experiencing some pretty significant G-forces. When this happened in the restaurant in an unseemingly insignificant moment in time it was very disconcerting. I literally had to get up and go outside with my daughter to escape the strange sensation that was causing my world to spin out of control. It took about an hour for this strange feeling to subside and when I explained it to my current physiotherapist and my kinesiologist, they both immediately suggested we test for any disturbances in my vestibular functioning.
Well, I am glad to report that there are no apparent problems with my vestibular functioning which is awesome! However, that means there is no obvious reason for the episode I experienced in that little restaurant in the Okanagan.

Which brings me to the main thought for this blog and that is what do we do with the things that are unexplainable?

You know, along the way I have had many of these types of experiences. From pains in the back and side without any accompanying or presenting reason. To dizziness and light-headedness that comes without any warning. To physical problems with my stomach and other areas of my body that would by all apparent reasoning have nothing to do with a concussed brain. When this happens to me personally one of the things that occurs is it quickly raises my anxiety which has been a complication of the concussion. Currently, my ability to deal with anxiety producing events is compromised because my body has been in ‘flight or fight’ mode for far too long. The team that is working with me thinks that it has been at least 4-5 months of my body being in this situation and that I can tell you is not good at all to say the least! Constant adrenaline over stimulation can cause all kinds of unexplainable issues and challenges to one’s health and recovery progress.

Another challenge that comes into my world when the unexplainable occurs is I often drift into the negative. In other words, I tend to focus on the “what now” rather than trusting that it is all part of the journey that I never would ever have imagined I would be on! Now, I don’t know if you deal with the challenge of pessimism in your life’s journey, but I can tell you from experience (for all kinds of reasons that I won’t go into) pessimism is not a good companion to anxiety issues of any kind. The two are actually deadly partners in the recovery process whether it is from a TBI or cancer or any other life altering challenge that can come an individual’s way. They actually create an endless cycle that causes our minds and hearts to focus on the things that actually are often out of our control!

Roger Barrier in Leadership magazine suggests:



Personally, I agree with Barrier, but I would also suggest this rewording is also quite true of any of our lives and that is:



You know, life will throw all kinds of things our way in this thing called the journey of life and faith. That is an unescapable reality! Which is why one of the biggest things we all can do is find a way to deal with the unexplainable or the unexpected. In other words, we all need a plan or strategy or better yet something or someone to turn to in those inevitable moments of life’s pathway!

Personally, for me it is my faith in Jesus Christ that inevitably anchors my life when it is on the cusp of moving in a direction that I could never have expected!

Now, that is not to say that it makes these moments any easier! Actually Jesus Himself said that there would be difficult moments along life’s journey (see John 16:33) but in the end with God’s strength in my life, I can focus on something other than what I see right before my eyes. When I allow God’s Spirit to cover my life, I can trust in His control over whatever comes my way, rather than trying to control the unexplained or unexpected in my own strength and power (which is ever so limited as I am reminded in this journey).

Life is full of the unexpected! Life is filled with the unexplainable! Life is complicated in ways we will never fully comprehend! The most important thing that any of us can do when these things happen is to find a strength beyond us that will help us endure the challenges that come our way. My prayer as I write this is you will find that in the form of the only One who truly can guide you through the dark valleys and moments. Jesus is the only source that can fully support us through those places. I love how the shepherd turned King described it in one of the most famous and popular words found in the Bible when he wrote:





Travelling the journey with you,

Rev Trev

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dealing with Discouragement

Over the past few weeks I’ve been engaging a process during these COVID times that I had honestly been avoiding like the plague (sorry for ...